Whenever the feminist games-critic and survivor of countless outraged misogynist stalkers Anita Sarkeesian’s name is invoked, there follows a flood of men who want to explain that she brought it on herself, that she isn’t a gamer, that she isn’t a good critic, and assorted related rubbish.
Indeed, if you mention that Sarkeesian’s critics haven’t got two coherent arguments to rub together and are obviously motived by sexism and denial that their favored pastime is riddled with casual violence and sexual violence against women, you, too, are accused of being part of the Sarkeesian cabal, or a dupe of her feminine wiles, or of “white knighting” (which is misogynist-creep-code for “man who doesn’t believe women are inferior and justly subjugated to men”).
In this excellent New Statesman piece, Ian Steadman picks apart the many arguments raised by Sarkeesian’s critics, painstakingly explaining the many ways in which they have (seemingly willfully) entirely missed the point:
why didn’t harry use the chamber of secrets when teaching dumbledore army? i mean, only HE could open the door?
because the giant basilisk skeleton might have been a distraction
if anything it sets the mood
Red Sonja (updated), drawn in PS.
My Favorite Things, Back To School Edition
- copperbadge: "Erasers like roses and pen tops on bic pens, bright yellow pencils and highlighter click pens"
- hailtherandom: zipped pencil cases and binders with rings, these are a few of my faaavorite things!
- copperbadge: "Genderqueers in white dresses with doc marten boots on..."
- hailtherandom: (me)
- copperbadge: Pink haired girls with long hair and sharp suits on
- blefever: (me)
- hailtherandom: punk rocks academics with theories on strings?
- hailtherandom: (knotta)
- KnottaHooker: these are a few of my favorite things!
- blefever: when exams bite, when the stress stings, when I'm going mad, I simply remember my shiny new things and then I don't feel so bad?
- copperbadge: Cream colored paper and cheap ramen noodles
- hailtherandom mod: halfhearted notebooks with margins of doodles
- copperbadge: Parties with moonshine and cheap chicken wings
- hailtherandom: THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS
- blefever: when the beer bites, hangovers sting, and I'm nauseous too, I simply remember these favourite things and then I don't feel so blue?